Rivastigmine for the treatment of dementia associated with Parkinson's disease.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractParkinson's disease (PD) afflicts millions of people worldwide and leads to cognitive impairment or dementia in the majority of patients over time. Parkinson's disease dementia (PDD) is characterized by deficits in attention, executive and visuospatial function, and memory. The clinical diagnostic criteria and neuropathology surrounding PDD remain controversial with evidence of overlap among PDD, dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB) and Alzheimer's disease (AD). Cortical cholinergic deficits are greater in PDD than in AD, and are well-correlated with the cognitive and neuropsychiatric dysfunction that occurs in PDD. Inhibition of acetylcholine metabolism is therefore a practical therapeutic strategy in PDD.This review examines current evidence for rivastigmine (a cholinesterase/butyrylcholinesterase inhibitor) treatment in PDD. In addition to its efficacy, we examine the safety profile, side effects, and cost effectiveness of rivastigmine in PDD. Rivastigmine provides modest benefit in PDD and further long-term studies are needed to determine the effectiveness and safety of rivastigmine over time. Tolerability is a problem for many PDD patients treated with rivastigmine. Future studies of rivastigmine in PDD should focus on pragmatic outcomes such as time to need for nursing home placement, pharmacoeconomic outcomes and simultaneous patient/caregiver quality of life assessments.
CitationNeuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2007 Dec; 3(6):775-783
- Cholinesterase inhibitors for dementia with Lewy bodies, Parkinson's disease dementia and cognitive impairment in Parkinson's disease.
- Authors: Rolinski M, Fox C, Maidment I, McShane R
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 14
- Are dementia with Lewy bodies and Parkinson's disease dementia the same disease?
- Authors: Jellinger KA, Korczyn AD
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 6
- Cholinesterase inhibitors for Parkinson's disease dementia.
- Authors: Maidment I, Fox C, Boustani M
- Issue date: 2006 Jan 25
- Rivastigmine and Parkinson dementia complex.
- Authors: Moretti R, Torre P, Vilotti C, Antonello RM, Pizzolato G
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- Rivastigmine: the advantages of dual inhibition of acetylcholinesterase and butyrylcholinesterase and its role in subcortical vascular dementia and Parkinson's disease dementia.
- Authors: Kandiah N, Pai MC, Senanarong V, Looi I, Ampil E, Park KW, Karanam AK, Christopher S
- Issue date: 2017