Primary mucinous adenocarcinoma in a defunctionalized urinary bladder: a case report.
Mode, Donald G
Heiner, Jared G
Terris, Martha K
Lee, Jeffrey R.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Malignancies are rare in defunctionalized bladders and are thought to arise from metaplasia secondary to chronic inflammation. Transitional cell and squamous cell carcinomas are the most common but there are three reported cases of mucinous adenocarcinoma. CASE PRESENTATION: We report a 57-year-old Caucasian man presenting with penile discharge for 30 years following ileal conduit surgery for neurogenic bladder, and who was found to have primary mucinous adenocarcinoma of his defunctionalized bladder. CONCLUSION: Although urinary diversion without cystectomy is less common in current urologic practice, there are many patients with longstanding defunctionalized bladders. While there are no established surveillance protocols, defunctionalized bladder patients with urethral discharge should be evaluated.
CitationJ Med Case Reports. 2009 Nov 30; 3:9306
- Mucinous adenocarcinoma in defunctionalized bladders.
- Authors: Djavan B, Litwiller SE, Milchgrub S, Roehrborn CG
- Issue date: 1995 Jul
- Total bladder and posterior urethral reconstruction: salvage technique for defunctionalized bladder with recalcitrant posterior urethral stenosis.
- Authors: Patil MB, Hannoun D, Reyblat P, Boyd SD
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Mucinous adenocarcinoma of bladder. Case associated with extensive intestinal metaplasia of urothelium in patient with nonfunctioning bladder for twelve years.
- Authors: Young RH, Parkhurst EC
- Issue date: 1984 Aug
- A new, unique and simple method for ureteral implantation in kidney recipients with small, defunctionalized bladders.
- Authors: Salvatierra O Jr, Sarwal M, Alexander S, Lemley KV, Yorgin P, Al-Uzri A, Lu A, Millan M, Alfrey E
- Issue date: 1999 Sep 27
- Adenocarcinoma of the urinary bladder presenting as locally advanced endometrial carcinoma. Case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Chura JC, Brooker D, Downs LS Jr
- Issue date: 2006 Oct