TRPM8 mechanism of autonomic nerve response to cold in respiratory airway.
Ling, Jennifer X
Johnson, Richard D
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBreathing cold air without proper temperature exchange can induce strong respiratory autonomic responses including cough, airway constriction and mucosal secretion, and can exacerbate existing asthma conditions and even directly trigger an asthma attack. Vagal afferent fiber is thought to be involved in the cold-induced respiratory responses through autonomic nerve reflex. However, molecular mechanisms by which vagal afferent fibers are excited by cold remain unknown. Using retrograde labeling, immunostaining, calcium imaging, and electrophysiological recordings, here we show that a subpopulation of airway vagal afferent nerves express TRPM8 receptors and that activation of TRPM8 receptors by cold excites these airway autonomic nerves. Thus activation of TRPM8 receptors may provoke autonomic nerve reflex to increase airway resistance. This putative autonomic response may be associated with cold-induced exacerbation of asthma and other pulmonary disorders, making TRPM8 receptors a possible target for prevention of cold-associated respiratory disorders.
CitationMol Pain. 2008 Jun 5; 4:22
- TRPM8 and dyspnea: from the frigid and fascinating past to the cool future?
- Authors: Fisher JT
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Role of TRPM8 and TRPA1 for cold allodynia in patients with cold injury.
- Authors: Namer B, Kleggetveit IP, Handwerker H, Schmelz M, Jorum E
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 30
- Expression and function of the ion channel TRPA1 in vagal afferent nerves innervating mouse lungs.
- Authors: Nassenstein C, Kwong K, Taylor-Clark T, Kollarik M, Macglashan DM, Braun A, Undem BJ
- Issue date: 2008 Mar 15
- Airway nerves and dyspnea associated with inflammatory airway disease.
- Authors: Undem BJ, Nassenstein C
- Issue date: 2009 May 30
- Sensitivity of bronchopulmonary receptors to cold and heat mediated by transient receptor potential cation channel subtypes in an ex vivo rat lung preparation.
- Authors: Zhou Y, Sun B, Li Q, Luo P, Dong L, Rong W
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 15