RhoA/Rho-kinase signaling: a therapeutic target in pulmonary hypertension.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) is a devastating disease characterized by progressive elevation of pulmonary arterial pressure and vascular resistance due to pulmonary vasoconstriction and vessel remodeling as well as inflammation. Rho-kinases (ROCKs) are one of the best-described effectors of the small G-protein RhoA, and ROCKs are involved in a variety of cellular functions including muscle cell contraction, proliferation and vascular inflammation through inhibition of myosin light chain phosphatase and activation of downstream mediators. A plethora of evidence in animal models suggests that heightened RhoA/ROCK signaling is important in the pathogenesis of pulmonary hypertension by causing enhanced constriction and remodeling of the pulmonary vasculature. Both animal and clinical studies suggest that ROCK inhibitors are effective for treatment of severe PAH with minimal risk, which supports the premise that ROCKs are important therapeutic targets in pulmonary hypertension and that ROCK inhibitors are a promising new class of drugs for this devastating disease.
CitationVasc Health Risk Manag. 2009 Aug 20; 5:663-671
- Protein kinase G-I deficiency induces pulmonary hypertension through Rho A/Rho kinase activation.
- Authors: Zhao YD, Cai L, Mirza MK, Huang X, Geenen DL, Hofmann F, Yuan JX, Zhao YY
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- Evaluation of clinical efficacy of fasudil for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension.
- Authors: Raja SG
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- RhoA and Rho kinase activation in human pulmonary hypertension: role of 5-HT signaling.
- Authors: Guilluy C, Eddahibi S, Agard C, Guignabert C, Izikki M, Tu L, Savale L, Humbert M, Fadel E, Adnot S, Loirand G, Pacaud P
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 15
- Role of the RhoA/ROCK pathway in high-altitude associated neonatal pulmonary hypertension in lambs.
- Authors: Lopez NC, Ebensperger G, Herrera EA, Reyes RV, Calaf G, Cabello G, Moraga FA, Beñaldo FA, Diaz M, Parer JT, Llanos AJ
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 1
- Targeting RhoA/ROCK pathway in pulmonary arterial hypertension.
- Authors: Antoniu SA
- Issue date: 2012 Apr