Excess coronary artery disease risk in South Asian immigrants: can dysfunctional high-density lipoprotein explain increased risk?
AbstractBACKGROUND: Coronary artery disease (CAD) is the leading cause of mortality and morbidity in the United States (US), and South Asian immigrants (SAIs) have a higher risk of CAD compared to Caucasians. Traditional risk factors may not completely explain high risk, and some of the unknown risk factors need to be explored. This short review is mainly focused on the possible role of dysfunctional high-density lipoprotein (HDL) in causing CAD and presents an overview of available literature on dysfunctional HDL. DISCUSSION: The conventional risk factors, insulin resistance parameters, and metabolic syndrome, although important in predicting CAD risk, may not sufficiently predict risk in SAIs. HDL has antioxidant, antiinflammatory, and antithrombotic properties that contribute to its function as an antiatherogenic agent. Recent Caucasian studies have shown HDL is not only ineffective as an antioxidant but, paradoxically, appears to be prooxidant, and has been found to be associated with CAD. Several causes have been hypothesized for HDL to become dysfunctional, including Apo lipoprotein A-I (Apo A-I) polymorphisms. New risk factors and markers like dysfunctional HDL and genetic polymorphisms may be associated with CAD. CONCLUSIONS: More research is required in SAIs to explore associations with CAD and to enhance early detection and prevention of CAD in this high risk group.
CitationVasc Health Risk Manag. 2008 Oct; 4(5):953-961
- Apo lipoprotein A1 gene polymorphisms predict cardio-metabolic risk in South Asian immigrants.
- Authors: Dodani S, Henkhaus R, Dong L, Butler MG
- Issue date: 2012
- Coronary artery diseases in South Asian immigrants: an update on high density lipoprotein role in disease prevention.
- Authors: Dodani S
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Can dysfunctional HDL explain high coronary artery disease risk in South Asians?
- Authors: Dodani S, Kaur R, Reddy S, Reed GL, Navab M, George V
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 16
- Coronary artery disease in high risk South Asian immigrants: Role of dysfunctional HDL in risk prediction.
- Authors: Dodani S, Kaeley GS, Arora S, Reddy ST
- Issue date: 2017 Sep - Oct
- Do we need more research on platelet function in South Asian immigrants?
- Authors: Dodani S
- Issue date: 2010 Dec